Solomon Airlines, the national carrier of the Solomon Islands and the ‘best little airline in the Pacific’, first took to the sky in 1962.
Solomon Airlines Limited history dates back to 1962 when Mr Laurie Crowly founded a small charter company called Megapode Airways.
A change of both ownership and name to Solomon Island Airways (although better known by the acronym SOLAIR) occurred when Macair of Papua New Guinea purchased the airline in 1968, becoming the smallest International Airline in the world serving Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea.
In 1975, Macair and SOLAIR were taken over by TALAIR and by 1976 the airline was operating 9 aircraft on its domestic services.
The Solomon Islands Government bought 49 percent of the Airline's shares in 1979 and with it the right to buy the remaining 51 percent at the end of the following 5 years.
In 1984, the Government of Solomon Islands acquired the remaining stake in SOLAIR from TALAIR and returned all leased aircraft to TALAIR after the completion of the acquisition of the airline and its assets.
With a modest investment, the Government introduced its first two aircrafts with new livery and officially changed its name to Solomon Airlines Limited.
Quality service and inflight and on the ground safety remain a priority for the Solomon Airlines earned a highly-esteemed IATA Operational Safety Audit Certification (IOSA) in 2014 and again in early 2015.
The carrier also works closely with the Solomon Island Visitors Bureau (SIVB), the two parties formalising a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at boosting the destination’s overseas profile and increasing international visitation numbers.
Solomon Airlines operates its regular international wide body Airbus A320 and its Dash 8 – 102 for i ...
With a total employee strength of 179 based in Honiara - Solomon Islands, Solomon Airlines serves a ...
Our team is standing by to assist you Monday to Friday 9am till 5pm
New Zealand Office
120 Albert St.
Tel: +649 366 7602
Fax: +649 969 7474